Career Center > Job Seekers
> Job Search
Apply Now |
Forward Job to a Friend |
More Jobs From This Employer
||Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
||Seattle, WA S
|| Agriculture, Forestry, & Fishing, Education and Library, Healthcare, Practitioner and Technician, Information Technology, Internet/E-Commerce, Research & Development, Medical, Web Technology, Writing/Authoring, Energy / Utilities
Oncology Nurse Educator|
The Oncology Nurse Educators are an integral component of National Cancer Institute's Contact Center located at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center on a contract with the NCI. Besides the duties listed below, applicants will bring crucial clinical oncology credentials and experience to enhance the already stellar credibility of the NCI's Contact Center.
The National Cancer Institute’s Contact Center acts as an extension of the NCI and its scientific programs requiring staff to understand NCI programs and deliver core NCI messages to the public. The Oncology Nurse Educator will ensure that the information they deliver is congruent with and represents the Institute and its research results. The Oncology Nurse Educator will play a key role in all components of training and continuing education for the NCI Contact Center staff. The Oncology Nurse Educator will assist with the education, training and mentoring of Information Specialists in their mastery of cancer content with an emphasis on clinical trials.
The Oncology Nurse Educator position requires vision and creative skills to support educational growth and development for a diverse staff while working closely with the supervisory team. The Oncology Nurse Educator will provide leadership within the CC and assistance to the NCI. An ability to collaborate with others is key. In addition to being an integral part of the management team, the candidate should demonstrate the ability to form and maintain professional relationships beyond the CC office at FHCRC and at NCI in support of the Contact Center’s need for continuous learning on cancer content and clinical trials.
Specifically, the Oncology Nurse Educator will: Provide non-clinical staff with context for the experience of the cancer patient along the cancer continuum, citing clinical experience for that context when appropriate, and providing a holistic perspective to that individual’s experience.
- The Oncology Nurse Educator will develop and/or review initial training curriculum; develop and facilitate other continuing education programs for staff as needed, and provide cancer content expertise to other Contact Center trainers.
- Deliver cancer content training to the information specialists who respond to client queries via telephone, e-mail or internet chat using National Cancer Institute approved resources. This training ranges from a more formal group setting to one-to-one education that often occurs informally on a daily basis.
- Collaborate with Contact Center trainers and supervisors on the delivery of cancer content training, IS initial training, continuing education programs and individualized educational support.
- Provide expertise in oncology information (e.g.) cancer treatment, symptom management, new drug development, epidemiology, statistics, cancer prevention, and early detection.
- Demonstrate expertise in clinical trials to provide context for and advocate the importance of clinical trials while mentoring staff handling clinical trials inquiries through all access channels.
- Work closely with the off-site Oncology Nurse Educator, CC Management, CC supervisors and with NCI staff to identify and develop cancer content in response to scientific developments. As such, the position requires someone who can take the initiative to research emerging cancer science and trends while adding background and context based on clinical experience.
- Assist in coaching, mentoring and professional development of Information Specialists in close collaboration with their supervisors. Collaborate on daily cancer content related interactions with staff responding to complex cancer information inquiries. This collaboration is often ‘in real time’ of the interaction and takes place in person, via email and instant messaging.
This position is preferred at 100% FTE (40 hours a week) but can be negotiable down to 80% FTE (32 hours a week)
- RN, BSN Required.
- Bachelor's required, Masters preferred.
- Nurse Educator experience preferred.
- OCN or AOCN preferred.
- A comprehensive understanding of cancer with a strong fundamental understanding of clinical trials is paramount for this position.
- Recent clinical experience preferred.
- Strong computer and navigational skills required including Word, Power Point and other institution developed programs.
- Excellent verbal communication and writing skills required. Writing sample required.
- Training and curriculum development experience required.
- Ability to successfully communicate complex information to a diverse audience.
- Knowledge of adult learning theory.
- Group facilitation skills.
- Leadership ability as demonstrated by high level of innovation, initiative, decision making and organizational skills.
- Possess a curious nature and willingness to be open to, and cultivate curiosity in a young and diverse work force.
- Spanish a plus (verbal and written).
Cover Letter Required.
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity and VEVRAA Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 206-667-4700.
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center|
Please visit our employer showcase!