Retail Business Banking Relationship Manager, Bilingual (Mandarin and English)|
Through Business Banking (BB) our global network offers comprehensive support and services to businesses in the SME market. From expanding overseas to managing the cash and trade flows of an established enterprise, the Business Banking team of Relationship Managers and Product Specialists provides a range of end-to- end solutions designed to help small and large businesses reach their potential.
The Business Banking (BB) Relationship Manager (RM) manages customers within the RM-managed segment, providing dedicated relationship management with accountability for sales, service, risk and operational delivery. Credit risk assessment is a fundamental element of the role.
Impact on the Business/Function
- Act as International Relationship Manager by offering value-added advice and guidance to customers and placing their needs at the forefront of our activity, setting world class standards
- Grow sustainable revenues from existing relationships and through acquisition of new customers in line with the Bank's risk appetite and policies
- Build a network of business introducers in the local professional and business community
- Structure credit facilities to ensure optimum balance between customer and HSBC interests and risk appetite
- Proactively develop effective strategies to manage both existing and new relationships, by anticipating customer needs and providing a superior service and products
- Keep up-to-date on knowledge of HSBC’s international and domestic strategy, capabilities and policies, and of external factors influencing international and domestic business e.g. economic, cultural, geographical, procedural and regulatory requirements
- Work with product partners such as Payments and Cash Management (PCM), Trade and Insurance to assess needs of international and domestic customers and offer appropriate solutions that meet the customer needs
- Generate referrals facilitated via Global Links and local or overseas International Banking Centres (IBCs), whichever appropriate, helping our customers grow their business
- Generate quality assets through the use of appropriate risk management tools, priced appropriately for risk and in line with customer needs
- Align to Medium Term Outlook (MTO) and Area Operating Targets defined by the Group (Revenue, Risk Weighted Assets (RWA), Return on RWA (RoRWA)
Customers / Stakeholders
- Work in partnership with colleagues across the HSBC Group to improve connectivity, deliver exceptional standards and quality of service across all interactions
- Work with Product partners and other Group partners and assist in the delivery of solutions, services and products that are appropriate to meet customer needs and improve customer engagement
- Ensure identification of early warning signs and problem relationships and take appropriate action to protect HSBC interests
- Build a strong relationship with the Risk Management teams in order to achieve a sustainable asset growth
- Be an ambassador for HSBC and develop the bank’s profile in the local ‘International Business’ community, by participating in internal and external business events, road shows and seminars as required by the business
- Ensure fairness in all aspects of product delivery, sales processes, customer correspondence and complaint handling
- Establish strong relationships with (prospective) customers and third parties (e accountants, lawyers, trade advisors)
- Deliver fair outcomes for our customers and ensure own conduct maintains the orderly and transparent operation of financial markets
Leadership & Teamwork
- Support achievement of the HSBC vision, Values, goals and culture in personal behaviour, actions and decision making
- Provide technical leadership and support technical excellence by searching out external best practice, monitoring technical and professional developments, sharing knowledge and encouraging others to do the same in the best interests of HSBC and its customers
- Encourage and enable constructive cross-country and cross-business teamwork by demonstrating collaboration and matrix management in action and challenging actions and behaviours that are not consistent with HSBC's diversity policy and/or the best interests of the business and its customers
Operational Effectiveness & Control:
- Develop and recommend changes and improvements to operating models, procedures and practices based on subject matter expertise and understanding of HSBC and market best practice
- Communicate and adhere to HSBC policy and procedures in order to ensure good operational, financial and project management, policy and procedural compliance and early identification and effective resolution or escalation of issues that arise
- Contribute to the development, implementation and maintenance of a management information, analysis and reporting framework that supports and informs timely and effective business management and decision making at all levels
- Contribute to the implementation and monitoring of the application of policies, governance frameworks, procedures, practices and standards to ensure quality, effective risk management and regulatory compliance
Management of Risk
- The jobholder will ensure the fair treatment of our customers is at the heart of everything we do, both personally and as an organisation.
- This will be achieved by consistently displaying the behaviours that form part of the HSBC Values and culture and adhering to HSBC risk policies and procedures, including notification and escalation of any concerns and taking required action in relation to points raised by audit and/or external regulators.
- The jobholder is responsible for managing and mitigating operational risks in their day to day operations. In executing these responsibilities, the Group has adopted risk management and internal control structure referred to as the ‘Three Lines of Defence’. The jobholder should ensure they understand their position within the Three Lines of Defence, and act accordingly in line with operational risk policy, escalating in a timely manner where they are unsure of actions required.
- Through the implementation the Global AML, Sanctions and ABC Policies, supporting Guidance, and Line of Business Procedures the jobholder will make informed decisions in accordance with the core principles of HSBC's Financial Crime Risk Appetite.
- The following statement is only for roles with core responsibilities in Operational Risk Management (Risk Owner, Control Owner, Risk Steward, BRCM, and Operational Risk Function
- The jobholder has responsibility for overseeing and ensuring that Operational risks are managed in accordance with the Group Standards Manual, Risk FIM, & relevant guidelines & standards. The jobholder should comply with the detailed expectations and responsibilities for their core role in operational risk management through ensuring all actions take account of operational risks, and through using the Operational Risk Management Framework appropriately to manage those risks.
- This will be achieved by:
- Continuously reassessing risks associated with the role and inherent in the business, taking account of changing economic or market conditions, legal and regulatory requirements, operating procedures and practices, management restructurings, and the impact of new technology.
- Ensuring all actions take account of the likelihood of operational risk occurring, addressing areas of concern in conjunction with Risk and relevant line colleagues, and also by ensuring that actions resulting from points raised by internal or external audits, and external regulators, are correctly implemented in a timely fashion.
Observation of Internal Controls
- The jobholder will adhere to, and be able to demonstrate adherence to, internal controls and will implement the Group compliance policy by adhering to all relevant processes/procedures.
- The term ‘compliance’ embraces all relevant financial services laws, rules and codes with which the business has to comply. This will be achieved by adherence to all relevant procedures, keeping appropriate records and, where appropriate, by the timely implementation of internal and external audit points, including issues raised by external regulators.
- The following statement is only for roles with managerial or specific Compliance responsibilities
- The jobholder will implement measures to contain compliance risk across the business area. This will be achieved by liaising with Compliance department about business initiatives at the earliest opportunity. Also and when applicable, by ensuring adequate resources are in place and training is provided, fostering a compliance culture and optimising relations with regulators.
HSBC is blazing the trail for African-American colleagues, check it out:
As you complete your online application, please use source code: Historically Black Colleges
and Universities. If you would like to notify HSBC's Diversity Recruiting team of your application, please e-mail
Qualifications & Requirements
Certifications, Qualifications & Experience
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in financial services managing commercial relationships.
- Integrate and exhibit broad knowledge of HSBC’s Group capabilities and Retail Business Banking’s proposition and product capabilities.
- Good understanding of the local and international ‘Commercial’ environment by way of staying current with a broad range of industries and businesses.
- Proven ability in identifying and meeting customer needs through a broad range of products and services.
- Ability to differentiate from the competition through the delivery of a responsive and proactive relationship management service approach.
- Engage with clients at a strategic and transactional level.
- Proven analytical ability, with experience in credit within the Business Banking sector.
- Strong business acumen and commercial awareness including economic, cultural, procedural and regulatory issues.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact and build relationships with customers, colleagues and key stakeholders.
- Established record in delivery of customized/flexible solutions appropriate to customer needs.
- Entrepreneurial and innovative self-starter with minimal direct supervision while working well within a team environment and adhering to HSBC standards.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Work effectively in a fast-paced environment managing work flow across different lines of businesses/departments
- Strong understanding of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio)