VP Risk Transformation|
Risk Transformation is accountable for leading & driving business planning strategy, transformation & operational performance across Risk, driving activities & performance of the global program & regional teams within the US. This is a critical execution arm for Risk bringing professional change management, operational improvement and analytics skills together with aim of ensuring enhanced management of risk with optimal efficiency.
VP Risk Transformation will lead a team of project manager and consultants and will be responsible for shaping and delivering significant re-engineering efforts aimed at redesigning and streamlining key processes and systems which directly impact effectiveness of risk management, customer experience, and operational performance with the notion to deliver on HSBC-wide strategy, more efficient and effective. Specifically, VP Risk Transformation will be responsible for:
- Manage the portfolio or Risk Transformation initiatives
- Work with Risk senior leaders to shape objectives and outcomes
- Manage a team of effective consulting and project management resources
- Ensure quality and timely completion of deliverables
- Escalate issues and emerging risks
- Advocate for change and desired outcomes
- Coordinate with Global counterparts
- Plan and overse project and programme level reporting
- Manage and monitor project governance arrangements
- Monitor, report and manage budgets and expenditure
- Implement project standards across projects. Follow HSBC’s established change methodologies such as Agile and Business Transformation Framework (BTF)
- Oversee the management of project documentation, process documents and information sources
- Manage relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Responsible for developmental activity for junior team members
Managers are accountable for setting the ‘tone at the top’ which underpins the principles of a positive and effective internal control environment. They should exhibit leadership and direction to their teams for establishing and maintaining an effective internal control environment, including the development and management of policies and procedures where appropriate. Managers should also ensure that suitable processes are put in place to review and oversight that internal control environment against those policies.
Management of conduct is a critical component of all our business activities including, for example, the Group’s strategy and business models, our culture and behaviours, our interaction with customers, our financial markets operations, and our governance and oversight processes. HSBC's approach to conduct is designed to ensure we deliver fair outcomes for our customers and do not disrupt the orderly and transparent operation of financial markets.
Focus on conduct is integral to HSBC’s values and principles, and supports the Group’s strategy for sustainable growth and streamlining of business processes and procedures.
HSBC has defined the Global Outcomes relating to Conduct which must be delivered by Global Lines of Business, HOST and the Global Functions. The 15 Global Outcomes are located within the document in this link:
Whilst all 15 Global Outcomes apply across the organisation, there are more dominant or relevant Outcomes which relate to specific roles. Below is an indicative guide to show which Outcomes are more likely to apply to this job description. All roles within the organisation should adhere to the Outcomes and the local regulatory standards and requirements relating to the markets in which they operate. It is mandatory that the conduct outcomes are included in the profiles and must not be amended.
Culture & Behaviours
- Our culture supports our people and empowers them to consistently do the right thing for our customers and markets in which we operateOur people are competent and committed to the fair treatment of customers and not disrupting the integrity of markets
- We are open to challenge, we acknowledge when things go wrong, we fix things and we learn from our mistakes
- We reward and incentivise performance, behaviours and attitudes which deliver the fair treatment of customers and uphold market integrity
- We seek to prevent and will proactively identify actions and behaviours that constitute market misconduct, and respond appropriately
- We manage conflicts of interest and appropriately handle information to reduce the opportunity for misuse
Governance & Oversight
- Our governance framework provides effective oversight of how we fairly treat customers and uphold market integrity
Impact on the Business/Function
- Value Creation
- Build and sustain trusting relationships with internal customers by consistently delivering value-add services.
- Work with Risk management and key stakeholders (Compliance, Audit, Finance, HR etc.) to constantly challenge ‘perceived wisdom’, to achieve buy-in for the recommended solution and its implementation approach, to manage the impact of change and to ensure monetization of benefits. Deliver step change in operational performance (cost, service levels, risk management, and customer satisfaction) through the shaping of business change – aligned to global strategy and global / regional priorities.
- Work with the businesses and delivery partners to develop objective, quantitative recommendations that are driven by ROI.
- Act as trusted advisor to business partners and key stakeholders.
- Promote a culture of strategic and pragmatic thinking, aligning short term decisions and investments with longer term vision and objectives.
- Identify and recommend innovative solutions which leverage emerging technologies and solutions but which are pragmatic and implementable.
- Proactively use customer knowledge to direct work efforts towards both existing requirements and new improvement opportunities; ensure change has positive customer impact.
- Lead initiation and delivery of process reengineering initiatives that meet customer needs and anticipate and lead initiation of process reengineering initiatives to exceed customer expectations.
- Ensure commercially-based decisions are taken in prioritizing and optimizing the change portfolio.
- Identify and recommend innovative solutions which leverage emerging technologies and solutions but which are pragmatic, implementable and aligned to internal and industry best practices.
- Ensure reengineered processes are revisited on a regular basis to validate process optimization practices and ensure on-going value realization is tracked undertaking this either in their own right or through liaison with other functions/regions e.g. GSD.
- Identify gaps and deploy tactical solutions for Risk
Customers / Stakeholders
- Client Relationship Management
- Ensure communications and solutions are sensitive to client audience and internal and external pressures and concerns
- Assist design and development of communication strategy and materials for complex and sensitive issues to client stakeholders and external audiences
- Ensure timely and accurate collection and dissemination of information between client stakeholders and project teams
Leadership & Teamwork
- Capability and People Development
- Support a team of project managers, business analysts and consultants to ensure quality and consistency of approach, and in the development and sharing of best practices.
- Define high level responsibilities and objectives for business engagement teams.
- Manage and support the pipeline and resourcing process, identifying and escalating resource requirements.
- Drive a performance management based culture to manage and improve performance, including effective management of under performers and contributing to calibration processes. Continuously support capability build of the Practice i.e. through sponsoring and advocating community events, sharing relevant articles / studies / ideas, ensuring regular development and sharing of case studies
- Directly manage project managers, business analysts and consultants and ensure quality and consistency of approach, and in the development and sharing of best practices.
- Ensure commonality of approach, methods and tools and consistency of advice and solutions.
- Lead and develop an effective team through communication, performance management, development plans and reward/recognition practices.
- Promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the HSBC brand.
Operational Effectiveness & Control:
- Operational Performance
- Drive and embed a culture of achievement and pace by identifying and removing barriers to success.
- Represent engagements in relevant steering committees, design authorities and forums.
- Actively support the resource management process, including the regular pipeline calls, leadership meetings and community events.
- Promote and take accountability for engagement quality, identifying opportunities to improve delivery.
- Work across global and regional teams to ensure commonality of understanding and objectives – i.e. local teams are focused on delivering against global imperatives, whilst those same global imperatives are shaped to reflect the business needs of the region.
- Contribute to the active management and rationalization of the global functions change portfolio, ensuring prioritization is based on risk/return, resource availability/skills and rigorous commercial criteria.
- Ensure that assignments are delivered using the appropriate technologies and tools including Group standards.
- Contribute to enhancing HSBC methods, tools and standards, in particular Business Transformation Framework.
- Support the definition of program strategy and develop a roadmap ensuring all constraints of time / resources / regulation are met.
- Capture key learning from each engagement and feed these back into HSBC methodologies, best practice and ways of working.
- Ensure the re-engineered systems and processes comply with GSM, FIM, Policy and regulatory requirements.
- To implement the Group compliance policy locally by containing compliance risk in liaison with the Head of Group Compliance, Global Business Compliance Officer, Area Compliance Officer or Local
HSBC is blazing the trail for African-American colleagues, check it out:
As you complete your online application, please use source code: Historically Black Colleges
and Universities. If you would like to notify HSBC's Diversity Recruiting team of your application, please e-mail
Qualifications & Requirements
- Operate at an executive level, working across global business and regions and maintaining a global perspective on business transformation.
- Management and control of multiple complex global programs/business transformation which have ambitious goals and high change requirements.
- Work independently and have the gravitas and acumen to work with business at the Senior Management level. Be confident to challenge stakeholders, where appropriate.
- Be self-motivated and driven but able to manage and work in a team whenever required. He / she will not be subject to close supervision.
- Be easily accessible and available to support global business sponsor needs. Typically, should have high energy and sense of urgency with the ability to learn quickly and assimilate information.
- Be able to cope and bring structure to ambiguous situations and problems. He / she will be expected to adopt an agile and flexible approach to work. Adheres to HNAH’s Statement of Business Principles and Code of Ethics.
- Maintains HSBC internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators.
- Be knowledgeable about HSBC’s environment including: Organization structures; HSBC business drivers; Group and businesses’ strategy; Acquisitions and mergers; Shareholders; Processes; Systems and Current state vs. Target state. (does not apply to external candidates)
- Be knowledgeable about the external environment including: Main banking competitors; Regulatory environment; Key events in world / local news that could impact HSBC; Global economy; Other industries i.e. latest innovation and technologies etc. (does not apply to external candidates)
- Have the knowledge and expertise to support the design of solutions that must comply with applicable legal and regulatory requirements whilst also challenging interpretation of these requirements to ensure that we take a commercial approach to their implementation.
- Have strong knowledge in change and performance improvement methodologies
- Be able to demonstrate strong business knowledge and sound business sense and stay abreast of all industry trends within risk, business and technology.
- Have strong financial and commercial acumen and the ability to understand and contribute to business cases.
- Includes ability to understand complex business problems and apply a strong commercial sense.
- Have strong knowledge of key domains and change industry
- Must have considerable years of diverse experience and a variety of skills related to managing large and complex change engagements, business, technology or operations and people. Experience at a highly respected strategy or management consulting firm would be advantageous.
- Proven track record in change management, process improvement and business transformation.
- Demonstrated ability to absorb complex concepts and support development of actionable, achievable and measurable improvements
- Experience of working in a global environment, working across cultures and matrix organization structures.
- Demonstrated ability to build, maintain and navigate the organization using formal / informal networking skills.
- Experience in supporting management of senior stakeholder requirements / design sessions.
- Demonstrated ability to provide strong analytical and communication support for work efforts to meet objectives effectively and efficiently
- Effective & efficient communication skills
- Qualifications and Accreditations
- 6 years of experience in leading large complex change at a global financial services institution or equivalent management consulting experience
- Typically qualifications would include an undergraduate or postgraduate degree in Science, Technology, Business Administration, Social Sciences (e.g. psychology, economics), Finance / Accounting or a related field.
- International working experience advantageous
- MBA advantageous